Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh me... Oh my...

Wow. What a few days! This daggon ice storm really got the best of this little ditty! I have come to the conclusion that if we were ever to lose power again, I'd much rather it be during August than January!

Matt, Cyd and I were going to try to brave staying home Wednesday night and block off the doorway with a thick blanket to keep the heat in the living room, and snuggle up in front of the fire.. Well, that idea went to pot after I started worrying... Cyd was fast asleep in the pack-n-play and around 10 o'clock the temp. was dropping FAST! It was 60 degrees by this time...the last we looked (which was like 20 minutes ago) it was about 64 degrees... Our little fire just wasn't keeping up. So, at this point, we decided to move her from her deep sleep and put her in between the both us so that our body heat would keep everyone warm... Well, she wasn't having any of it. We fought her for an hour and decided that we should call for an SOS! Dan & Tiff had gotten power that evening, so we thought we'd set-up camp in thier basement and get a peaceful nights sleep... hahahaha. We arrived around 11:30 and this is the last time I knew what time of the hour it was b/c I refused to look at the clock... It just hurt to think about what time it was... Cyd, once again, had another idea about our so called "peaceful nights sleep!".... We.couldn't.put.her.down. She'd fall asleep, wake up screaming... fall asleep, wake up wanting to play.... fall asleep, throw out her paci.... Try to imagine two drunkenly tired parents trying to hunt around a dark basement for a stinkin' paci (which we never found), dogs trying to stake claim on where you hope to eventually lay your head and trying to keep a baby/toddler half-way quiet, b/c there are 6 adults and 1 child up stairs... Sheesh. And, if anyone knows Matt or I, we tend to lose our temper pretty fast.... Imagine me saying, "Matt! It's not her fault! She doesn't know what's going on! We've got to PULL IT TOGETHER!" Literally, those words came out of my mouth and I chuckle thinking about it now. It was like I was trying to rally the troops... I was finally able to put her down in her p-n-p and she fell asleep for a while.... I wondered what time it was, but I just couldn't even bear to check... Hard telling how much time had elapsed, but she woke up. It's amazing how quick a mother can go from a deep sleep to up and on her feet! From that moment on, she was on mommy's chest. At this point, I had to reference MY OWN post, on what I had "learned" (see Parenting - I've learned" post) regarding treasuring the alone time with your wee one, b/c it goes by fast!.. Well, at that moment, I tried to just accept that I wasn't going to sleep more than 2-3 hours and as long as she was snoozing, that's all that mattered and, this is scary, but I was talking to myself saying, "I'm going to be begging her to lay her head on my chest soon, SOAK THIS MOMENT UP! You DON'T need as much sleep as you think you do!... It's not about me anymore!" ;-) over and over...

Well, obviously we survived... Although, it clearly wasn't Matt or I's finest moments as parents or spouses, but we made it and learned, once again, not to go into a situation with unrealistic expectations... and PRAY HARD from the beginning, and never stop, for strength and patience! I've really had to try to remember to laugh when I want to cry, or let me rephrase, when I am crying! Maybe that will put a new spin or outlook on things! ;-)

Thanks Dan & Tiff for letting us come and crash your house!

All the exclamation points are proof that I've recovered and I'm not feeling sorry for myself anymore! hahaha!

Happy Friday! I hope all of you without power, get it soon! We'll be prayin' for ya!

2 comments:

Karin said...

Oh no, that sounds like such a disaster! You had such a good attitude about it, though! I try to tell myself to soak up the moments too whenever I have to hold Kendra during her naps because she's sick or some such thing. It's easy to tell yourself that when they're not crying, I've learned. :)

Karin said...

Oops, this is Katy. I'm apparently logged in as my Mom who is at my house because they still don't have power.